There are a few different reasons why a software engineering team lead would want to track each software engineers individual performance.
- Fair Compensation
- Promote individual growth in key skill areas
- Assess individuals comparative to their team’s performance
What to measure ?
- Ability to write source code that adheres to specifications
- Peer reviewing other team members work
- Debugging and troubleshooting complicated issues
- Process Improvements
How to measure ?
Here are a few ways to gather the information below
- Surveying the individuals more senior peers
- Creating metrics through issue trackers and time sheets
- Observing the quality and speed yourself
- Surveying the individuals senior most peers
Feel free to share your thoughts in comments below.