Skip to main content

Famous Laws Of Software Development

Famous and interesting laws of Software Development

  1. Murphy's Law: If something can go wrong, it will. 
  2. Brook's Law: Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later. 
  3. Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. 
  4. Conway's Law: 
    1. Any piece of software reflects the organizational structure that produced it.
    2. [OR] Organizations which design systems are constrained to produce designs which are copies of the communication structures of these organizations. 
  5. Postel's Law: Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept. 
  6. Pareto Principle: For many phenomena, 80% of consequences stem from 20% of the causes.
  7. The Peter Principle: In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.
  8. Kerchkhoff's Principle: In cryptography, a system should be secure even if everything about the system, except for a small piece of information - the key - is public knowledge.
  9. Linus's Law: Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.
  10. Moore's Law: 
    1. The power of computers per unit cost doubles every 24 month. 
    2. [OR] The number of transistors on an integrated circuit will double in about 18 months.
    3. [OR] The processing speed of computers will double every two years!"
  11. Wirth's law: Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster.
  12. Ninety-ninety rule: The first 90% of the code takes 10% of the time. The remaining 10% takes the other 90% of the time
  13. Knuth's optimization principle: Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
  14. Norvig's Law: Any technology that surpasses 50% penetration will never double again (in any number of months).
Source: https://www.timsommer.be/famous-laws-of-software-development

Feel free to share your thoughts in comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramo Vigrahavan Dharmah

A great verse from Ramayana: आहार निद्रा भय मैथुनं च  सामान्यमेतत् पशुभिर्नराणाम् । धर्मो हि तेषामधिको विशेष:  धर्मेण हीनाः पशुभिः समानाः ॥ AhAra-nidrA-bhaya-maithunam cha samAnam_etat_pashubhir_narANAm | dharmo hi teShAm adhiko visheSho dharmeNa hInAH pashubhiH samAnAH|| Eating, Sleep, Fear and Sex ; these habits are common between human beings and animals. It is the Dharma which is the special quality of the human beings. Without the Dharma, they are similar to the animals.  Rama is The Embodiment Of Dharma.  Maaricha, while speaking to Ravana- (Aranya Kandam 37-13): रामो विग्रहवान् धर्मः साधुः सत्य पराक्रमः | राजा सर्वस्य लोकस्य देवानाम् इव वासवः || ३-३७-१३|| raamo vigrahavaan dharmaH saadhuH satya paraakramaH | raajaa sarvasya lokasya devaanaam iva vaasavaH || 3-37-13 "Rama is the embodiment of righteousness, he is an equable person with truthfulness as his valour, and as with Indra to all gods he is the king of entire world. [3-37-13] Another great phra

Online 2 Year MS Software Systems (MSSS) Program from Bits Pilani

BITS is offering an online (not classroom) 2 Year MS Software Systems (MSSS) Program. Whoever interested can go through this link: http://www.bits-pilani.ac.in/dlp-home/Admissions/12008/advertisement.html You can contact: George Daleep ( George_Daleep@satyam.com ; 09959188837) Santha_Oommen ( santha_oommen@satyam.com ; 09849427215) More Info From Bits Advertisement: Since we have received a number of queries from associates on the MS program from BITS Pilani, we would like to clarify matters. BITS is offering an online (not classroom) 2 Year MS Software Systems (MSSS) Program provided you meet conditions. Some basic information about eligibility, requirements and fees is given below: Eligibility Criteria: First Class BE / MSc / MCA / MBA / BITS BS (Minimum 60% aggregate) or equivalent degree and at least 12 months of relevant post-qualification experience. Candidates with 3-year BSc, BCA, BBA, BCS, BIT etc are NOT eligible. Additional (M

Your mind can be your best asset or your worst enemy. Train it well.

Your mind can be your best asset or your worst enemy. Train it well.